Sunday, June 24, 2007

Interviewing the Fans Part 1 Lainie's Interview

RC: Welcome to the Rock Chronicles Lainie. I’ll be asking you a series of questions concerning the band Def Leppard. I’ve decided to do a different approach to the band by interviewing the fans. Def Leppard have been around for thirty years now and are still considered the best rock n roll band around and to be together for thirty years is not only a great accomplishment but it proves that they can overcome a great deal of obstacles and still remain together and withstand the test of time.

Most bands you see nowadays are made up of other bands, a mix if you will of bands that once made it big and then drifted apart and decided to get together with others. Granted, Viv stepped in from Whitesnake and had been in DIO and other bands but they’ve got an original ingredient, the unique style that makes them Def Leppard, plus they’ve been through hell and back and are stronger than ever. I think if it were me, I’d have thrown up my hands and said “I give up, fate has dealt me a blow and I can’t deal with this.”

RC: Do you think with all they’ve been through, that if they hadn’t been through hell and back that they’d be still together or as close as they are now? After Rick losing his arm in 84, Steve passing away in 91 and everything, think they’d still be Def Leppard?

Lainie: Absolutely. The reason they are still together is the reason they would be if none of those things ever happened; they are like family, more than most other bands out there! They stick by each other!

RC: With the new tour coming up, they of course will perform their classics but if you could pick their set list what would it be and what song would you pick that you’ve never heard live to have them perform?

Lainie: I’ve always wanted to WATCH them play Stagefright. I love that song live, have only heard it on CD played live. Would love to SEE them play it live!

RC: What has been your favorite memory of Def Leppard? It can be anything, videos, songs, live performances.

Lainie: My favorite memory is meeting them for the first time during the ROA tour, November 2005! That was a thrill beyond anything!!!

RC: Have you ever met any of them in person?

Lainie: Yep, I’ve met Phil and Rick after a couple shows, then ALL of them after the one in Everett, Wa, 2005. AWESOME experience!!!

RC: Who is your favorite member of the band?

Lainie: Definitely Joe Elliott!!!

RC: Do you consider yourself a hardcore fan?

Before you answer that, consider that, that can be taken in a lot of ways because some people consider hard core owning every single thing they’ve ever done along with going to every show, having met them several times and even going out and getting tattooed with their names on their bodies and I’ve even heard of fans naming their children after their favorite band members.

I ran across a myspace profile that was by this woman and she had two children named Nikki and Gunner after Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue and his oldest child Gunner Sixx.

I am always amazed at how dedicated a fan can be and some might consider certain things going too far too but I like to think of it as just loving a band so much that they want to find a way to remember them forever and as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone, I’m all for it myself.

A hard core fan doesn’t have to be that extreme though; it can be just seeing them every time they come around to your area and buying their CD’s. I like to think of that as if they were a hot sauce, you can get them in mild to Extra Hot and the fans can pick which one will suit them.

Lainie: I do consider myself a hardcore fan. I do have a Myspace page that is ALMOST totally devoted to Def Leppard; I listen to their songs all the time; I even draw them…my favorite subjects. I would not consider myself a psychotic fan lol. There are limits! I consider myself a respectful fan, and respect their privacy!

RC: There has been a lot of talk about the band’s new album and the name they’ve come up with “Sparkle Lounge” If you could name the album yourself, what would you call it? Consider this, you don’t know what’s on it yet so if you think about the title that they have now, what would you call it?

Lainie: Hmmm…well I’m not sure. They were written on the road, but that doesn’t mean the album has to be called anything regarding that. I would pick something that sounds more rock! I love the names “High n Dry”, “Pyromania”, and “Hysteria”. Not saying another “ia” title though, lol…but something along those lines.

RC: When I think of Sparkle Lounge, to me it doesn’t sound very rockish, do you think it will surpass the X album and perhaps become more popular than Hysteria?

Lainie: I will love the album no matter what the name, however I am not a fan of the name. I do agree it does not sound very “rockish”, and in fact, sounds more like an album by Liberace, or Lawrence Welk. I can’t answer if it will surpass past extremely successful albums…at least not without hearing the new songs!

RC: Hysteria is so well known and one of their best selling albums so it will be hard to beat and considering the management dropped promotion on X and it practically vanished, anything new they come out with will be looked at under a microscope.

Def Leppard has decided to work with Mutt Lange again this time around so do you think that working with him will help make their album a success?

Lainie: I think it will help. Mutt Lang is very driven and has great ideas and knows this band, among others. He knows how to bring out the best in them, although they have grown quite a bit on their own. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, with his help!

RC: So little promotion is done for bands from the 80’s like Def Leppard these days and has been said by many that when they tour that they didn’t know they still toured.

If you could be their promotions manager, how would you help get the word out that Def Leppard is here and ready to rock your world with their new album and world tour? What would you do for them that would draw more fans into the venues?

Lainie: What they did for the Yeah album was great, all of the television and radio appearances and magazine articles. More of the same, definitely!

RC: When Def Leppard hit it big, you were lucky to get as close as nose bleed seats and thousands of fans filled the Don Valley stadium in Sheffield to hear them live. Nowadays, bands like Def Leppard and even Aerosmith no longer sell out the venues, not as much as they used to anyway, what do you think can be done to change that?

Lainie: More and wider exposure. Bring back the meet and greets with the whole band!

RC: Let’s go back to your favorite member of the band. If you could spend one day with him, what would you want to do? Would you show him around your city, sit down and chat with him about his career or maybe just get to know the real him?

Lainie: Just to actually sit and talk with him would be the most thrilling experience of my life…to sit and talk with ANY of them!!!

RC: With the new tour only a few days away, how often do you hope to catch them live?

Lainie: I’m going to at least two shows. If I’m able to go to more, I will.

RC: When you met them, how long did you have to wait for them before they finally came out and signed your things? It must take a lot of patience and time to meet your favorite band and you have to be willing to withstand certain whether conditions if you wait by the buses, which I know is a popular way to meet them.

Lainie: It was a couple hours at least, and unfortunately, cold as hell…froze my butt off…however, well worth the wait each time!!!

RC: They’ve recently launched a Def Leppard fan club for the fans where you pay what is it? Thirty five dollars a year to be in it and you get newsletters, presales on tickets and even VIP packages in four star and five star.

The five star is the most expensive I know and it says you aren’t guaranteed to meet the band.

Do you think that the five star packages should guarantee at least one or two members of the band come out and sign things and pose for pictures?

Lainie: I think that would definitely make it much more attractive, but the awesome seats are well worth the price to me as well, being that I’m so short lol.

RC: With Aerosmith it’s even more expensive but with one of their packages, you’re guaranteed to see at least one of them and it’s usually Steven Tyler but you have to pay at least a thousand dollars to meet the entire band.

I’ve been reading a lot of complaints about the fan club and some fans feel like the band owes it to them to come out when they pay the big bucks to get good seats and have hopes of meeting their favorite band.

If you could be in charge of the fan club, what would you change?

Lainie: First of all, I don’t feel ANY of them “OWE” their time, autographs, pictures, etc. If they DO favor us with that, that is a BONUS. Yes, I would love for the meet and greets to come back, but outside of shows, they don’t “owe” us anything. Right now, not sure what I would change. I probably would update the “extras” on the OS for the fan club members. More exclusive pics, videos, etc.

RC: Lainie, I just have one more question for you and then we will wrap this up. After thirty years of Def Leppard, do you see yourself still being a fan in another twenty-five years even if the band has long since retired and why?

Lainie: I would, definitely. I’m still a fan of other bands who’ve broken up, DL will be no different, except I would be MORE of a fan, since they ARE my favorite band!

RC: Thank you Lainie for taking the time to answer my questions. It’s been a pleasure interviewing you and be sure to come back after the tour is over and I’ll ask you a few questions on what you thought of the tour and your experiences. Who knows, maybe one day soon, you can read an interview by me with the band. Thanks for your time Lainie.

Lainie: You’re very welcome, and thank you!

No comments:

Online Flower Delivery
Hit Counters